Moulin de Gassac Chardonnay Viognier 2019, Mas de Daumas Gassac
£11.95 per bottle
GRAPE/BLEND: 50% Viognier, 40% Chardonnay, 10% Muscat Sec
SUSTAINABLE/ORGANIC/BIODYNAMIC: Organic farmed
SUITABLE FOR VEGETARIANS/VEGANS: No
ALLERGENS (EGGS AND/OR MILK): Neither used
TASTING NOTE: Pale lemon-gold hue with a gently-fragrant nose of stone fruit and tree blossom, while the succulent, honeyed palate is redolent of juicy pears and apricots. Round, pillowy texture, with lovely balance, restraint and elegance
FOOD RECOMMENDATION: Pork, fish or goats cheese
SHORT HISTORY: Created in the early 1990s by Aimé Guibert, founder of Mas de Daumas Gassac, the Moulin de Gassac wines were created to preserve land parcels that fully reflect the character of the exceptional Languedoc terroir and to offer fine, generous and exceptional value wines that spring from the same search for excellence that applies to the great Daumas Gassac vintages. The Moulin de Gassac range embodies the image of the first Moulin de Gassac wine, ‘Figaro’, which, after its launch in 1993, was awarded the title of the world’s best wine in its category. Since their early days they have been the outcome of intense, but passionate work.
TERROIR: Grapes come from selected land parcels along the shores of the Thau lagoon, around the village of Pinet. A very special terroir, benefiting from the Mediterranean Sea influence producing remarkably fresh wines
VINIFICATION:• Manual and machine harvested
• Destemmed and put through a cold-soak for between 10 and 12 hours.
• Pressing takes place followed by fermentation using carefully selected yeast at a controlled temperature between 16oC and 20oC for 10 days.
• Ageing takes place in stainless steel vats for between four and five months.
• No malolactic fermentation to preserve natural acidity
• Fined with isinglass
• Filtered “sur terre” – through clay
• Use of sulphur in vinification